Who sits at your table?
She said: “In my head, I just haven’t quite figured out what I want to do”
We said: “Maybe you should talk to someone not in your head”
It’s that time of year, the look back to look forward. Did you set out with a goal and accomplish it? Then celebrate. Or is that goal going onto this year’s list? That’s okay too… sometimes it takes a little more discovery before you can actually make it happen. The important thing is not to go it alone.
To put this in perspective think of an everyday task – like washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen. When you go it alone, it can take a while, but get your significant other, kids or even dinner guests (I know can you imagine) to help, the time flies by and it’s done. Why would or should decision-making be any different? If you do it in a vacuum (aka solo) sometimes the outcome might just suck (yes, pun intended)… but add others’ perspectives and you’ve created potential. We like to think of this as a kitchen table – where lots of important conversations take place – who sits at yours to help you through?
As you look to this new year and consider what makes your 2018 list, start by inviting your team to your table, a group of people who will hold you accountable and cheer you on to greatness. To give you a well-rounded approach, your team, your board of directors should be diverse – if you have all the likeminded thinkers, you may end up right back here next year.
Challenge yourself to find different sets of skills like:
- Cheerleader – they offer their undying support and enthusiasm, they don’t need to know your skill set to know that you are awesome!
- Good Listener -This person creates a safe environment for you to speak they give you the confidence to answer the questions and sort it all out.
- Creative Problem Solver – they look at everything with a different perspective. They don’t get overly emotional; they use logic and some intuition to solve your problems.
- Savvy Politician – They get the politics of the business/situation you’re in. They are amazing at navigating difficult situations.
- The Straight Shooter – They tell it like it is…and they force you to be real with yourself.
- Champion – They know your capabilities, inside and out, personally and professionally, could be a former boss or your “work” wife.
Who will hold you accountable for your 2018 goals? Who’s going to coach you, guide you or cheer you on to greatness? You have that answer, now go and ask them for their help.